Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Below Zero

     Growing up in Texas I didn't experience very cold temperatures and it definitely never got below 0! In fact I didn't really know that it got below 0 anywhere. It just hadn't occurred to me. Well during the last year I got pretty familiar with temperatures that had a negative sign in front of them. I really didn't want to experience the cold; I enjoyed the heat and wanted it to stay warm because that is where I felt comfortable. I felt like I had never been so cold in my life when the winter arrived. I didn't think my body would ever be able to handle temperatures below 0, but somehow I survived it and I'm still alive and kickin'. Plus I learned an important life lesson.
Often times we want to stay where we are at because it is familiar and we are comfortable. We don't want to go through the "refiner's fire", or in this case the refiner's freezer, because it won't be easy. But that's not what our Heavenly Father wants for us. He knows that we all have imperfections and it often requires us doing hard things in order to become better. That's what this life is about. We face opposition and things that we may not be comfortable with but they give us experience and end up working for our good. So if you feel like you are having to do things that you don't want to or like life is just too hard, remember that I, Elder Huntsman, was able to survive an Eastern Montana winter. If I can do that then you can face any hard things you may face, especially when Jesus Christ is on your side.

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog! I, too, much prefer to stay in my comfort zone, which was Idaho, for my first 20 years of life. I married at age 20 and have now lived in five different states around this great country. I really didn't like the change but have found that as I submit to the Lord's will, He has great blessings in store for me ~ greater than I ever imagined! He is simply awaiting my willingness to submit to His will.

    Linde Huntsman

    ReplyDelete