Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stuck In a Rut??

     I've had a few experiences with being stuck in ruts during my life. Some were physical ruts on the road and others have been of a more spiritual nature, but they all had something in common. All of them have  seemed so easy to fall into but they aren't so easy to get out of. I still haven't had to drive in too many ruts here so I have no advice as for the ones on the road, but I think I have an answer for how to get out of the spiritual ruts.
     I feel like I usually got into these ruts because I didn't put much effort into my spiritual growth; I would simply "go through the motions". It can be so easy to do that, at least for me. I was going to church and I would listen but I didn't seem to be moving much of anywhere and for a long time I didn't understand why. Then one day I was reading the Bible and I came across a scripture that made a world of difference. It was James 1:22-
     "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."
     For so long I had been hearing the word but I usually wasn't being a "doer of the word". I wanted the spiritual growth without putting in the work. It was like I wanted to get strong without exercising. How often do you go to church, sit and hear, but then you don't do anything to make changes?? Personally I think this is how it was for me most of my life. I was stuck in a rut where I went through the motions... until I learned this lesson.
     Since learning this I have tried a lot harder to do the things that I hear and it has made a world of difference to me. I can see myself growing spiritually as I apply the things that I learn. So if you feel stuck in a rut and you need a way out, do some work. Still be a hearer, but then go and DO! If you will follow the things Christ taught and apply the lessons you learn, you will see yourself moving out of those ruts and onto a greater path that will lead you closer to the Jesus Christ.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment