Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Faith and Exercise

     This is something that has been on my mind a lot recently, maybe because it's something I am always trying to work on. In Alma 32:27 it tells us to exercise our faith. So let's see how exercise and faith can relate to each other.
     1. They both require action.- You can think about getting strong all day long, but until you actually go and do something you won't gain any strength. I've thought to myself many times about how I'm going to work out so hard one day and then I'm too lazy to get up and actually do it. John Burroughs put it best when he said, "The smallest deed is better than the greatest intention." So if you want to build your faith don't just think about it, but get up and work on it!
     2. Use it or Lose it!- At one time or another in your life, you may have been really strong or in great shape. I used to be in good running shape. I loved to run! But over time I quit running and now I wouldn't do very well if I tried to run a mile. Our faith is similar. At one point you may have had a lot of faith, but now you are 'out of shape'. Remember that just because you have faith at one point doesn't mean that it will last forever. You must maintain your spiritual strength just like physical strength.
     3. You can see the results.- Over time as you exercise, you can see your muscles grow and that can motivate you to keep working. As we build our faith, we find more joy and motivation to learn about Jesus Christ and we want to continue to "exercise our faith."
     Just like exercise it isn't always easy to put in the work required to gain strong faith, but over time you will see the results that come and it will all be worth it. So try a little harder today to "exercise your faith". Serve someone else, read the scriptures, or pray and you will begin to see your faith grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment