Friday, January 6, 2012

Back to the Basics- The Gift of the Holy Ghost

     In my recent post about baptism, I talked about the need to be "born of water and of the spirit". This post will focus on being being "of the spirit". In the book of Acts in the New Testament we learn from Peter that we need to "repent, and be baptized... and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Being 'born of the spirit' is receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.
     The Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead and a personage of spirit. He can only be in one place at a time, but his influence can be everywhere at the same time. The Holy Ghost is our Heavenly Father's messenger and is a special gift to us. He can guide and direct us and teach us what is true. We read in the Book of Mormon that "by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." (Moroni 10:5) That makes the Holy Ghost extremely important in our lives. With so many ideas and different teachings floating around we are promised a way that we can know what is right.
     So what must you do to have such a gift?? Prior to receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost you must be baptized by someone who holds the priesthood authority of God. Following baptism someone who holds the priesthood lays their hands on your head and will give you the gift of the Holy Ghost just as Paul did in the New Testament. (Acts 19:6) At that time you will have the Holy Ghost to be with you at all times, so long as you remain worthy.
     I am grateful for the ways that the Holy Ghost has blessed my life. I know that there have been many times when it has guided me to avoid a bad situation or to go and do something that my Heavenly Father would want me to do. I know that the Holy Ghost plays a significant impact in my life and I know it can do the same for you.
     This video will show how others have felt the Holy Ghost, aka the Holy Spirit, in their lives and how it has helped them. Enjoy!

Want to learn more about the Holy Ghost??
Click here.
Additional info.

No comments:

Post a Comment